Communicator, blogger, podcaster.
Communication Leader, Social Media Leader, Consultant, Digital Change Agent, Speaker.
In this blog, Neville Hobson analyses and discusses trends, behaviours and practices in digital communication to help you make informed decisions for the benefit of your people and your business.
You can also find him across the social web:
For nearly 30 years, Neville has been a voice of experience and influence when it comes to speaking about digital technologies, disruptive change in workplaces and marketplaces, relevant trends to pay close attention to, and what it all means for your business.
His career embraces social media expertise complementing traditional public relations, marketing communication, employee, compensation and benefits communication, and investor relations.
He is a digital natural. Not a native nor an immigrant – a natural.
Neville has wide-ranging experience as a senior communications director, and as an interim communication leader and practitioner working on specific assignments both client- and agency-side. He is a founder and co-founder of new-media startups, bringing to market new thinking and ideas to help organizations gain measurable benefits from embracing social media in their communication strategies.
His wide-ranging interest in the intersection of business, communication and technology is reflected in the topic categories he has been writing about in this blog since he started blogging in 2002 (and podcasting in 2005).
Based in the Thames Valley some 30 miles west of London, Neville works either from his home office, or from a client’s location; or from wherever he has a good network connection.
For detailed information about Neville’s professional activities, see his profile on LinkedIn.
If you’re thinking of contacting Neville to ask about writing guest posts to publish in this blog, read this first before you do.
Neville has diverse international experience from living and working across continental Europe, in the Middle East and in Latin America. In addition to English, he’s a fluent Spanish speaker.
Since 2000, he has analysed and discussed trends, behaviours and practices in digital communication to help individuals and organizations understand what they mean for people and business. He has worked with organizations of all shapes and sizes; and worked alongside a number of small- to medium-size agencies and management consultancies, usually behind the scenes in support of their client communication planning and execution.
He is a keynote speaker and presenter at public business conferences and other events in the UK, continental Europe and the USA.
In 2016, he worked for IBM as a Senior Managing Consultant in the IBM Social Consulting group based in London. He was part of a global team whose mission was to provide industry knowledge and insights working with enterprise clients to develop ways to improve their operations by bringing together the best of IBM’s Smarter Workforce and Social offerings, with world leading consulting services.
During his year at IBM, Neville led a mobile apps development team to create and bring to market mobile apps designed to provide enterprise clients with effective tools that connect employees and stimulate their engagement as part of business transformation and change management programmes.
He’s a co-founder of new-media start-ups. In 2009, he co-founded “The B2B Huddle” series of one-day sponsored events; in 2013, he co-founded the FIR Podcast Network series of business podcasts with its foundational podcast, For Immediate Release: The Hobson and Holtz Report, a weekly show he co-presented with Shel Holtz from January 2005 to September 2015.
From November 2014-December 2015, he contributed a twice-monthly on Tuesdays live commentary on technology topics in broadcasts on Share Radio UK, a digital radio station in London, as a regular guest in ‘Consuming Issues’ presented by Georgie Frost.
In August 2015, Cision/Vuelio ranked Neville’s blog the “number 1 PR blog in the UK” for the fourth year running.
In June 2016, Neville started The Small Data Forum Podcast with Thomas Stoeckle and Sam Knowles, an initiative by LexisNexis Business Insight Solutions to listen, learn, share and educate ourselves and others who grapple with the challenges of the information avalanche, aka ‘big data.’
A Few Further Notes…
- Neville is a founding Senior Research Fellow and Advisory Board member of the Society for New Communications Research, a non-profit think tank founded in California and now based in New York. SNCR is dedicated to the advanced study of new communications tools, technologies and emerging modes of communication, and their effect on traditional media, professional communications, business, culture and society. SNCR merged with The Conference Board in February 2016. Neville returned to active Advisory Board involvement with SNCR in September 2016.
- For over 20 years he was an accredited member of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC). His volunteerism activities between 1989 and 2012 include serving as IABC’s Regional Director in Europe, as a Member of the International Executive Board and Executive Committee, as a Gold Quill Award judge, as a European Accreditation examiner, a contributor to Communication World magazine, and as a producer and presenter of Cafe2Go podcasts.
- During the past decade, Neville has co-authored one book: How To Do Everything With Podcasting with his podcasting partner Shel Holtz, published by McGraw-Hill in 2007; and contributed the introductory chapter to The Social Media MBA: Your Competitive Edge in Social Media Strategy Development and Delivery, published by Wiley in 2012.
- In 2012, he co-led the CIPR’s initial outreach to the Wikimedia Foundation in the UK, leading to the development of the first version of the CIPR’s Wikipedia guidance for PR professionals by the CIPR’s Social Media Panel.
- Neville is also an occasional reviewer of gadgets and gizmos, apps and experiences. A test pilot of shiny new objects, as it were.
In October 2014, Neville received the award for “Outstanding Contribution to Social Media” at the UK Social Media Awards 2014 in London, presented by Stephen Waddington, 2014 President of the CIPR. He has also served as an Awards Judge since 2012.
In addition, this blog has featured regularly in recent years in Vuelio’s “Top UK PR Blogs” rankings.
Everything you read here represents Neville’s personal views and has nothing to do with any organization with whom he has a business or professional relationship, unless stated otherwise, and for which he takes responsibility. Note, though, that comments on blog posts or submitted to a podcast he presents or co-presents, are the views and opinions of the commenters for which they take responsibility. See also the terms and conditions of use.
Thanks for visiting this website. Please feel free to join in or start a conversation in any of the blog posts you read; or reach out and connect, either directly or via any of the places you’ll find Neville across the social web.
[Text updated: November 19, 2017.]