The February episode of “The Hobson & Holtz Report” features Neville and Shel discussing these topics:
- The Houston Astros’ owner hosts a clinic on how not to deliver an organizational apology
- Oracle workers are the latest to engage in employee activism
- Facebook has way more users than Instagram but Instagram is number one in some important metrics
- An IPO filing lists the company’s influencers as a potential threat
- How brands should handle communications during the coronavirus epidemic
- Twitter has changed the face of journalism (for the better)
- Dan York reports on resources to help you speed up your website, the Internet Society’s new “Open Standards Everywhere” project, job openings at the Internet Society, and how Google redraws its map’s borders depending on where you are
(Or download the MP3 file.)
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
Links from This Month’s Episode
- Breaking Down the Astros’ Latest Public Relations Meltdown
- What to make of Houston Astros owner Jim Crane’s public (non-)apology
- Some Oracle Employees Stop Work in Protest of Larry Ellison’s Politics
- Employees for Ethics
- Change.org petition: Uphold Company Ethics
- Kickstarter has unionized, becoming the first tech company to do so as workers organize across the industry
- Instagram overtakes Facebook in audience of top 50 brands, study says
- Instagram brings in more than a quarter of Facebook sales
- Which Instagram Story Formats Really Engage Viewers [New Research]
- Instagram Is Adding a New Way to Find and Share Stories that Mention Your Profile
- How to Use Instagram Stories in Your Sales Funnel
- Instagram prototypes ‘Latest Posts’ feature
- Bad influence: When a brand’s social media stars repel consumers
- Companies Are Stealing Influencers’ Faces
- How should brands handle comms during the coronavirus crisis?
- How Businesses Should Handle the Coronavirus Outbreak
- Employee communications and the coronavirus: What you need to know.
- How should brands handle their comms during the coronavirus crisis?
- Six tips for investor communications around the coronavirus
- Fake Facts Are Flying About Coronavirus. Now There’s A Plan To Debunk Them
- How Twitter changed the face of journalism forever
Links from Dan York’s Report
- Front-End Performance Checklist 2020 [PDF, Apple Pages, MS Word]
- Fast Load Times
- Open Standards Everywhere
- Internet Society: Open Communication Positions (work with Dan and Neville!)
- Google redraws the borders on maps depending on who’s looking
The next episode of For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report will be posted on Monday March 23, 2020.