Language translation has bedevilled communications and PR practitioners forever, but the rise of digital media has complicated the situation in a number of ways.
The requirements for producing content right now have led to a need for almost instantaneous translation while access to the internet has introduced languages spoken in regions that weren’t previously participants in the economy.
Joining FIR co-host Shel Holtz in this edition of FIR Live on August 14, 2014, were…
- Renato Beninatto, chief marketing officer for language translation company Moravia. He is the co-founder of the first market research company focusing on language services. He was president and currently serves as an adviser to the European Language Industry Association and is a board member of Translators without Borders.
- Iris Orriss, head of localization for Facebook, is also a board member at Translators without Borders. Formerly director of the business platform division international team at Microsoft, she brings more than a decade of localization-related engineering and managerial experience to her work.
- Sherrilynne Starkie, VP Content Marketing and Social Media, Thornley Fallis Communications (Ottawa office).
You can download the MP4 video file for local viewing.
- Download the MP3 audio file (23.6Mb, 58:32)
- Subscribe to the Hobson and Holtz Report RSS feed
- Get the show at iTunes
- Get the FIR app for your mobile device – Android | iPhone | Windows Phone | Windows 8 and 8.1
Messages from our sponsors: FIR is brought to you with Lawrence Ragan Communications, serving communicators worldwide for 35 years, www.ragan.com; Save time with the CustomScoop online clipping service: sign up for your free two-week trial, at www.customscoop.com/fir; Igloo Software, providers of an intranet you’ll actually like, delivered securely with our cloud platform: learn more at www.igloosoftware.com/fir.
Share your comments or questions about this podcast, or suggestions for future podcasts, in the online FIR Podcast Community on Google+.
You can also send us instant voicemail via SpeakPipe, right from the FIR website. Or, call the Comment Line at +1 415 895 2971 (North America), +44 20 3239 9082 (Europe), or Skype: fircomments. You can tweet us: @FIRpodcast. And you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish, you can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments (max. 3 minutes / 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.