One of the most effective explanations of social media last year was Social Media Revolution, a video created by author Erik Qualman to promote his book Socialnomics: How Social Media has changed the way we live and do business.
Illustrating how fast things are changing since that video was published just nine months ago, Qualman updated the video a few days ago to include more recent metrics, some additional content and updates to some of the presentation of existing content.
Ten of Qualmanâ€™s newer metrics:
- Over half the worldâ€™s population is under 30 years old
- 96% of Millennials have joined a social network
- Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the US
- 1 out of 8 couples in the US met via social media
- 80% of companies use social media for recruitment (and 95% of that percentage use LinkedIn)
- Ashton Kutcher and Britney Spears have more Twitter followers than the entire populations of Sweden, Israel, Switzerland, Ireland, Norway and Panama combined â€“ 4.8 million each
- 50% of mobile internet traffic in the UK is for Facebook
- 78% of Wikipedia content is in languages other than English
- 25% of search results for the worldâ€™s top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content
- 90% of people skips ads via TiVo/DVR
And hereâ€™s a point of view to think about that Qualman includes in the new video â€“ the ROI of social media is that your business will still exist in five yearsâ€™ time.
Itâ€™s all still compelling.