So the house move is done and weâ€™re now nicely ensconced in our new place, in the same Wokingham neighbourhood about a quarter mile from our old place.
We did the move ourselves rather than hire professional movers. That saved me at least Â£1,100 (so a powerful incentive).
Was it worth it? On balance, yes, although it cost in terms of effort and very aching bodies.
The move also cost time, almost the entire past week with most attention focused on the move, packing and all the bits and pieces you have to plan in connection with a move. Canâ€™t avoid that, however you do a move, whether self-moved or with professional movers.
So I sit here in my minimalist workspace on Sunday evening, reflecting a bit on the past week:
- My wife Laura has been a rock star, firmly focused on pre-move planning and prep, getting most of the packing done, and then GTD on move day. I just did as I was told and shifted stuff :)
- I spent a lot of time with my dad who was indispensible to the success of the move; the whole thing was worthwhile just from spending time with him, something I donâ€™t do often enough (thatâ€™s one more change Iâ€™m going to make).
- Neighbour Peter was tremendous â€“ he lent us his Mercedes van that was just right for our move even if it ultimately meant more than a dozen shuttle trips from old place to new place.
- Trying to move a complete house in just two days as we did was a wildly optimistic plan. We did do it but it was a knackering experience.
- You need a lot of stamina to move a house yourself, more than you might realize. And itâ€™s great aerobic exercise.
- Our place has 26 stairs up and down. Going up and down so many times felt like climbing the Eiffel Tower.
- Moving is one thing, making the new place a home rather than just a house takes time. So weâ€™ll have boxes around for a bit.
- Jones the cat settled in very quickly indeed. New place but lots of familiar things would help.
- My 3 mobile broadband dongle worked a treat.
- Virgin Mediaâ€™s engineer showed up on Saturday afternoon exactly when Virgin said he would, so we have broadband net connectivity and TV. No landline phone, though; a bit of a mix-up, it seems, with BT re transfer of number as I learned in multiple conversations today with Virginâ€™s support people.
Itâ€™s a return to more or less normal tomorrow. All I really need to function is a workspace, computer and a network connection. I have those even if boxes are piled up everywhere (you should see the garage).
So it will probably take most of October to get the new place as we like it. Thatâ€™s fine, thereâ€™s no rush.
Reading this like a reflection of my recent life!
I may have to now crack on and post something about our move.
Glad the worst is over, Neville, can settle in now and enjoy.
Well Neville, first and foremost congratulations on the new home.
In terms of value, I think it depends on how much value you put on your time…
We moved ourselves once and swore we’d never do it again and as far as I’m concerned it’s worth getting the movers in.
If you multiply out your consulting hours you’ll quickly soak up GBP1K!
At least it’s finished now!
Look forward to hearing about your experiences, Chris.
Good point about time value, Tom. In simple Â£ terms, I reckon doing the move ourselves definitely cost more more hiring professionals.
Yet that includes time that would have been lost no matter how we did the move, so I don’t see this experience as cost ineffective, as it were.
At the moment, though, I’m of the view you had – I definitely don’t want to do it like this again!
Many years ago we moved 5 doors up in the same street and contemplated doing it ourselves… We got the movers in and they did it in under a day – one big van – 2 trips – 3 people (including me) – even packed drawers for us. Was it worth it? At the time we would have said ‘yes’. Now – i’d be tempted to do your way – but with lots of helpers. (free food and wine anyoneone?)
Make sure Jones stays in a week or so… Cats get very confused when they go outside at a new place.
Though, if he goes missing, you only need to go a quartermile to find him!
lots of helpers is definitely the thing, Jed. We’ll press-gang the whole neighbourhood next time :)
A good tip, Allan, thanks. I’d hate to see the moggy vanish!
[…] I do have a license, valid for another year, which was auto-renewed on October 1. Of course, I was moving house at around that time but I did tell them my new address on October […]