The final product was quietly released last Friday. I’ve just noticed an announcement on the product page at NewsGator re version 2.5 availability, so it’s time to mention it now!
If you use FeedDemon, this is definitely an upgrade to have – see the release notes. If you don’t, it’s worth checking out – you can download a free 30-day trial.
Here are the top five new features in new version 2.5:
- Synchronized news bins with shared RSS feeds – share a FeedDemon “news bin” (similar to a link blog) as an RSS feed so that others may subscribe to it
- Vastly improved offline support – including the ability to prefetch links and images in all unread items for offline reading
- Completely rewritten “Popular Topics” – view the most popular topics in all the feeds you’re subscribed to, alongside the topics that are popular with all NewsGator subscribers
- Embedded video support – video objects embedded in feed items can now be securely viewed inside FeedDemon
- “Who’s linking here?” – with a single click, find out who in the blogosphere is linking to a specific post in your subscriptions
One feature I’ll add is support for podcasting. Not new by any means – that support has been in FD since at least version 2.0 – but very useful indeed to have your RSS reader as your podcatcher. I use a combination of FD and iTunes to manage all my podcast subscriptions, no other software needed for that. (Speaking of iTunes, the Vista fix was finally released last week.)
All further advances for the best Windows RSS reader by far.