Content summary: Thankyouqwest.org; Josh Hallett, Syndicate conference and MP3 files; preventing employee access to external blogs; Business Week assesses Boeing’s blogs; David Philips reports from Estonia; Dan York reports from Arizona; Beyond Blogging 2006 conference; graduating with FIR schwag; listeners’ comments discussion (defining a podcast, clueless about MySpace, MESH, podcast approvals, ethics blog); FIR Frappr community; the music.
Show notes for May 18, 2006
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 58-minute podcast recorded live from Washington, DC, USA, and Strasbourg, France.
Download the file here (MP3, 24MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as Juice, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Listen to this podcast now:
In This Edition:
- 00:26 Shel introduces the show; what FIR is about; today’s tech setup
News and Commentary:
- 05:04 Thankyouqwest.org – resisting US government demands to turn over data on phone records
- 10:04 Shel gets Neville on his cellphone from Strasbourg, France…
- 11:28 Josh Hallett records sessions from the Syndicate conference and posts them on his blog, which seems to upset IDG
- 15:15 Preventing employees from accessing external blogs in the workplace – an example of absurdity
- 19:00 Randy’s Journal and the Flight Test Journal – a good assessment of Boeing’s blogs in Business Week
- 26:36 David Philips reports from Estonia on the Web 2.0 social economy and enterprising Estonian kids
- 30:47 CC Chapman shouts out!
- 31:10 Dan York reports from Sierra Vista, Arizona on the FIR listener survey, effective communication, doing PR for PR, show length, email and IM, expressing emotion in Skype chats, and easy video podcasting
- 37:22 Shel’s moderating a panel tomorrow at Beyond Blogging 2006
- 40:01 Luke Armour graduates with an FIR mug
Listeners’ Comments Discussion:
- 40:28 Heidi Miller on the Ninja definition of a podcast
- 41:54 Clarence Jones says radio executives are clueless about MySpace.com
- 43:31 Donna Papacosta on the MESH conference in Toronto; FIR Dine-Around in Vancouver; getting approvals when producing podcasts for clients
- 48:32 Sebastian Keil doesn’t like BL Ochman’s Ethics blog; LA Times journalist suspension; show length and mashups
- 50:45 Shel wraps the show; let us know your views about today’s discussions; how and where to send your comments; where to find the show notes; update on the FIR Frappr community
- 53:03 Outro podsafe music from the Podsafe Music Network – Podpeople by Munk
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 222 2803. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 3 minutes / 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Monday May 22…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)