Content summary: Sparklines; Mobitype scraping blog content; Shel’s road weary trek; South West Airlines tackles gaming of online check-in; the IAOC conference; Josh Hallett on FPRA Blog Week; Luke Armour’s intro music #2; David Phillips reports; listeners’ comments and trackbacks discussion (Firefox extension for Bugmenot; conversion rates trump Google juice; the Glenfiddich blog; the purpose of measurement; the podcasting book; subscribing to FIR via iTunes; the French government and iTunes; a promo); the music.
Show notes for March 23, 2006
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 75-minute podcast recorded live from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and almost live from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
Download the file here (MP3, 34MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free Juice, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Listen to this podcast now:
In This Edition:
- 00:28 Neville introduces the show; what the show’s about; how to give your feedback; show notes
News and Commentary:
- 03:48 Sparklines graphics offers some interesting approaches to the concept of a picture being worth a thousand words
- 12:00 Mobitype is stealing blog content, says Allan Jenkins, and suggests how he’ll make money out of it
- 20:21 From California to Texas to Pennsylvania, Shel’s road weary
- 22:31 South West Airlines tackles the gaming of its online check-in system, which upset some people; could it have become a PR issue for the airline?
- 31:59 Upcoming IAOC conferences – Shel’s and Neville’s double act
- 35:06 Josh Hallett and the FPRA Blog Week 2006 on April 10-14
- 44:27 Potential new FIR intro music #2 from Luke Armour – what do you think?
- 47:00 David Phillips reports on the value of relationships
Listeners’ Comments and Trackbacks Discussion:
- 51:11 Rob Clark says there’s a Firefox extension for Bugmenot
- 53:41 Stephen Turcotte thinks conversion rates trump Google Juice as the ultimate measure of success
- 56:02 Rob Safuto on the Genfiddich blog – they’re doing a good job, he says
- 57:30 Lee Hopkins was put off by the measurement focus in the IABC Golf Quill Awards, prompting a comment from Robert Holland who wonders if Lee has misunderstood the purpose of measurement
- 58:49 Joseph Jaffe emails congrats on our podcasting book deal. Thanks, Joseph!
- 60:59 Craig Coleman has a problem subscribing to FIR via iTunes. Does any listener have a suggestion to help Craig?
- 63:09 Sebastian Keil comments on Top 10 Sources, Bugmenot and IABC Gold Quill, and asks: what do we think about the French government’s plans to force Apple to open up access to iTunes?
- 66:46 Clarence Jones sends us a promo!
- 68:23 Neville wraps the show; let us know your views about today’s discussions; how and where to send your comments; where to find the show notes
- 70:47 Outro podsafe music from the Podcast Music Network – Better Life by Common Ground
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 222 2803. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 3 minutes / 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Monday March 27…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)