Content summary: An introduction from our “sponsors”; popular podcasts begin charging in the UK; podcasting growth in Australia; a head start on the podcasting book; charitable blogging and Operation Link Love; Lee Hopkins reports; meeting Sallie Goetsch; Jeremy Wright shouts out; review of the New Communications Forum; the grand tour of Bay area tech stores; Neville’s and Shel’s podcasting book; listeners’ comments discussion (congrats on the book deal; advice for LinkedIn; value opportunities for PR); the music.
Show notes for March 6, 2006
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 69-minute podcast recorded live from San Francisco, California, USA.
Download the file here (MP3, 32MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free Juice, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Listen to this podcast now:
In This Edition:
- 00:28 A special introduction from “the sponsors”
- 01:07 Neville introduces the show; what the show’s about; how to give your feedback; show notes
News and Commentary:
- 04:21 Some podcasts in the UK begin charging – if the content is compelling, is there a business model?
- 06:58 Australian broadcaster sees significant podcasting growth – a natural extension for public broadcasters
- 09:54 Getting a head start on the podcasting book deal with McGraw-Hill, and thanks to everyone who has commented
- 12:22 Some actions on charitable blogging – stimulating Operation Link Love
- 14:32 From Our Correspondent Down Under: Lee Hopkins – Heidi Miller, Apple, a broken iBook G4 and a $300 broken hard drive;
colour as a useful cognitive shortcut for political parties; “babbliography”
- 25:14 Meeting Sallie Goetsch
- 25:44 Jeremy Wright shouts out!
- 26:33 Neville’s and Shel‘s Saturday conversation
- 28:08 About the New Communications Forum – workshops, sessions, people, keynotes – terrific!
- 38:22 Doing show #116 live from the conference and the FIR mashup
- 40:51 The grand tour of Fry’s, CompUSA, and other cool places and the temptations we encountered with dual-core processor laptops (in particular)
- 43:47 The podcasting book
- 49:10 Neville wraps up his US trip on Monday
- 49:57 Vote for FIR at Podcast Alley!
- 51:14 Shel and Neville live together for Thursday’s show
- 51:40 A bit more on the mashups
Listeners’ Comments Discussion:
- 52:24 Sebastian Keil and Lee Hopkins says congrats on the McGraw-Hill book deal
- 53:34 Lee Hopkins (again) says the FIR mashup was great!
- 54:05 Craig Jolley offers LinkedIn some advice on email outreach to customers
- 56:33 Judy Jones is thrilled to hear the news about the podcasting book
- 59:37 David Phillips on meeting up and the New Communications Forum, and value opportunities for PR with social media
- 61:52 Neville wraps the show; let us know your views about today’s discussions; how and where to send your comments; where to find the show notes
- 63:43 Podsafe music redux – I Heard It On A Podcast (MP3) by Cruisebox
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info. If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 222 2803. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 3 minutes / 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday March 9…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)
[…] Services « The Hobson & Holtz Report – Podcast #117: March 6, 2006 Not much happened at 35,000 feet » […]