Content summary: Special edition live at the New Communications Forum; Neville and Shel announce a podcasting-book deal with McGraw-Hill; conversations with John Cass, Jeremy Wright, Jory des Jardins, Elisa Camahort, Debbie Weil, Michael Geoghegan, Shel Israel, Philip Young; report from Dan York; Eric Schwartzman in conversation with Phil Gomes; Stephen Turcotte talks to Robert Scoble and Sam Decker; listeners’ comments discussion (e-workplace applications, not coming to Canada, pronunciation guide, Edelman blogging conference in Germany, approvals for internal podcasting); the music; and more.
Show notes for March 2, 2006
(Photo by Philip Young)
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, an 81-minute podcast recorded live from the New Communications Forum conference, Palo Alto, California, USA.
Download the file here (MP3, 32MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free Juice, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Listen to this podcast now:
In This Edition:
- 00:32 Neville introduces the show, live from the New Communications Forum; what the show’s about; how to give your feedback; show notes
Commentary and Conversations:
- 02:36 Meeting people – the social nature of blogging and podcasting
- 04:17 Yesterday’s Podcasting 101 workshop
- 05:45 John Cass tells us about Backbone Media and Scout
- 13:07 Jeremy Wright and Jory des Jardins talk about making blogging relevant – is blogging a fad and how do you measure ROI?
- 18:04 Neville’s and Shel’s news – a book deal with McGraw-Hill to write “How To Do Everything With Podcasting”
- 20:17 Dan York reports – good wishes for the conference; IABC Yankee chapter conference; self hosting; the brewing battle over internet access providers and charging for content
- 26:50 Elisa Camahort explains what BlogHer is all about
- 34:01 Debbie Weil got a lot out of yesterday’s Podcasting 101 workshop, and tells us about her new book, The Corporate Blogging Book
- 40:11 From The Spinfluencer in LA – Eric Schwartzman talks to Phil Gomes, online evangelist at Edelman
- 46:07 Michael Geoghegan on podcasting and Disney
- 51:18 Shel Israel has some opinions about character blogs, and gives an insight into the keynote presentation he and Robert Scoble will be making tomorrow at the conference
- 57:07 Stephen Turcotte talks to Robert Scoble and Sam Decker at the Search Engine Strategies conference in New York on Monday
- 61:48 Philip Young talks about the findings of the recent EuroBlog 2006 survey
Listeners’ Comments Discussion:
- 65:54 Michael Fasosin on e-workplace applications, Internet Explorer 7, RSS and tagging
- 67:06 Lee Hopkins would love to come to Canada for the IABC conference, but…
- 68:05 Robert French with a pronunciation guide
- 68:48 Sebastian Keil on David Weinberger’s and Heiko Hebig’s Edelman blogging presentation in Germany
- 71:29 Mark DiJulio asks: How do you go about handling the approval process for internal podcasting?
- 72:47 Shel wraps the show; let us know your views about today’s discussions; how and where to send your comments; where to find the show notes
- 74:09 We’re together for next Monday’s show but in separate hotel rooms, in San Francisco and in Washington, DC
- 75:21 Outro podsafe music via the Podasfe Music Network – Heartless by Michael Burks
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 222 2803. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 3 minutes / 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Monday March 6…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)
A BIG congratulation on the book deal – very exciting!!
Neville. The new site looks great. Let us know if you need any help with CSS as I heard you say in one of the previous podcasts that you were having some trouble there. I’ve got a few CSS experts over here and we’d be happy to help you out in a pinch.
BTW. Thanks for interviewing John and offering your kind thoughts about our new corporate blogging service. We’re really excited about the energy around new communications and the “intersection” of PR and the Internet as you like to say.
Now there’s a book I will buy…….
The purveyors of PR’s longest running PR podcast, Neville Hobson and Shel Holtz have announced (in their podcast of course) that they’ve just signed a deal with McGraw-Hill to publish a book on podcasting. The latest installment of course has……
[…] Services « The Hobson & Holtz Report – Podcast #116: March 2, 2006 […]
Stephen, I appreciate your comments. Re CSS, I will definitely be in touch.
[…] We’ll also be producing Monday’s edition of FIR from the conference, much as we did with show #116 at the New Communications Forum in Palo Alto last March. Plus, tomorrow night, we’ll be meeting up with some of our listeners at an FIR Dine-Around in Vancouver. […]